Chicago Bears Sackwatch 2018: Week 1 vs Green Bay Packers

Chicago Bears Sackwatch 2018: Week 1 vs Green Bay Packers

Beitragvon panxing18 » Fr 16. Nov 2018, 06:44

After being one of the most sacked quarterbacks as a rookie with a sack percentage of 8.6 Youth Pat O'Donnell Jersey , I expected Mitchell Trubisky to see that number decline in his second year as the starting quarterback for the Chicago Bears. Pocket awareness is something that takes time to learn at the NFL level, and most young QBs struggle with it. He’s still very early in his career, but his awareness on Sunday Night was a problem. One possible reason; he’s in a new offense on a very big stage and the moment may have gotten the best of him against the Green Bay Packers. Another possible reason; he’s just not very aware of his surroundings. By the end of the 2018 season we’ll know which it is. If you’re new to my Sackwatch series, it’s me breaking down every sack the Bears allow. The idea was first floated to me by WCG’s resident snark, Kev H, back in the Mike Martz years. And as someone tired of seeing casual fans blame the offensive line for every sack allowed, I figured this would be a good way to show how much more goes into pass protection. Each week I’ll start the article taking a look back through the years, then I’ll break down each game’s sack, and finally I’ll keep a running tally the sacks allowed. Enjoy...Sackwatch After Week 1:2010 Sacks - 4 (Martz)2011 Sacks - 5 (Martz)2012 Sacks - 2 (Tice)2013 Sacks - 0 (Trestman)2014 Sacks - 2 (Trestman)2015 Sacks - 2 (Gase)2016 Sacks - 5 (Loggains)2017 Sacks - 4 (Loggains)2018 Sacks - 4 (Nagy)Now let’s get down to the nitty gritty...Sack 1 - First Quarter 2:49 - Kentrell BriceThis was neat play to break down because it’s run from a formation I used back in the day. In my terminology this is, Blue right, Z-Mo, fake 23 lead, max protect. Only the X and Z receivers go out for a pass, so the fact that the Packers got pressure is troublesome, but the pressure unfortunately complimented each other perfectly. Eric Kush (left guard) loses his block on Mike Daniels (#76), but Howard is there to clean up. Tight end Dion Sims (lined up on the right side) gives the edge up too quickly to linebacker Reggie Gilbert (#93). Fullback Michael Burton was moving to that side to help http://www.bearsauthorizedshops.com/authentic-kyle-fuller-jersey , but it was a tough angle considering how deep Gilbert got. The Packers only sent five initially, so seven on five should have been a win for the Bears, but Sims’ losing his block so quickly spooked Trubisky. He stepped up, but Daniels was there after beating Kush. With the first pressure sending him directly to the second pressure, Trubisky took off. By running out of bounds for zero yards, this sack goes to safety Kentrell Brice, who was closest to him, but I think the sack allowed should go to the two players that ultimately lead to the scramble, Half to Kush and half to Sims. Sack 2 - Second Quarter 6:49 - TeamThis one was immediately called Butt Fumble 2 on Twitter after it happened, and I really hope that doesn’t stick. Now if it was Butt Fumble 2, Electric Boogaloo, that’d be a different story.It’s an empty backfield on 4th and 4, and Trubisky thought he saw a lane to get the first on his own. The lane closed, and he couldn’t react quick enough. He collided with his right tackle and dropped the ball. This sack is on Trubisky.Sack 3 - Fourth Quarter 8:29 - Mike DanielsThis is another run for zero yards that is officially called a sack. I hate that rule. A sack is a negative play, and zero yards isn’t negative. On this play, the Bears pass protection creates a nice pocket for Trubisky Bryce Callahan Jersey , but he seems to anticipate a breakdown that isn’t there and he takes off. With experience he hopefully stays in the pocket and scans the field if this situation arises again, but right now he may trust his athleticism more than he trusts his new scheme. This one is on Mitch.Sack 4 - Fourth Quarter 1:06 - Nick PerryOn this sack, Trubisky starts drifting to his right before he has to. My first thought was he sensed the pressure from Perry off the left edge, but if that was the case, then why stand still after Perry beat left tackle Charles Leno?Leno got his head out in front of his feet too much when Perry tried going back outside, and that’s a mistake. But Trubisky had time to throw, and he didn’t feel the rush at all. I don’t want to let Leno completely off the hook for getting beat, so a half a sack allowed to him, but Trubisky is getting the other half. I was curious, so here’s what Pro Football Focus said about all the sacks and pressures.Individual Sackwatch after week 1:Mitchell Trubisky - 2.5Dion Sims - .5Erik Kush - .5Charles Leno - .5Bears o-line coach Harry Hiestand on Cody Whitehair’s snapping issues and when James Daniels could start One of the top offseason discussions surrounding the Chicago Bears was when rookie James Daniels, their second-round center from Iowa, would take over as their starting center. After the draft, the Bears talked about him playing left guard, and that was where he was playing most of OTAs, but an injury to a teammate led to Daniels getting more reps at center. I thought he looked pretty good in his limited preseason time at his more comfortable center spot, but it wasn’t good enough to take Cody Whitehair’s job as the starting center according to head coach Matt Nagy and offensive line coach Harry Hiestand. Even though Whitehair struggled with a few bad snaps during camp Authentic Charles Leno Jersey , the Bears valued the experience Whitehair had. The Bears eventually found more time for Daniels to battle for a starting job at left guard against Eric Kush, but Kush won that job for week 1. Just before the season, it came out that the reason the 20-year old Daniels wasn’t ready to start was more mental than physical. The Bears weren’t comfortable with his grasp of the fronts he’d be seeing in the NFL, and where the blitzes would likely be coming from. Before this revelation I was squarely in the play-the-kid camp, but if he’s not quite ready to recognize what he’s seeing, then I’m fine with easing him into the lineup when he’s ready. Chicago’s o-line coach is one of the best in the business, and Coach Hiestand recently talked about Whitehair and Daniels with Colleen Kane from the Chicago Tribune. If the snapping issues continue, they may be forced to make a change. If Whitehair does move to left guard, it shouldn’t be looked at like a demotion. He’s one of their best o-linemen, and I think he’ll thrive at that spot.Whether at guard or center, I think Daniels is one of their best five offensive linemen once he has the mental side of things down. I think by mid-season, at the very latest, we’ll see him running out with the first string.
panxing18

Zurück zu Allgemeines / General Information