Big Mad: Kelvin Benjamin isn’t guiltless in Panthers

Big Mad: Kelvin Benjamin isn’t guiltless in Panthers

Beitragvon douhua2233 » Do 17. Jan 2019, 02:18

Big Mad: Kelvin Benjamin isn’t guiltless in Panthers’ split Sour grapes can either make you appreciate and savor the sweetness of success Color Rush Dontari Poe Jersey , or they can make the best whine. Former Carolina Panthers wide receiver Kelvin Benjamintook the latter approach as he criticized and bashed his former team in his interview with The Athletic Buffalo’s Tim Graham.At this point, we all know what was said. Benjamin let it be known that then general manager Dave Gettleman made a mistake by giving him his chance in the league when 27 teams wouldn’t in 2014. He made his thoughts about Cam Newton and his quarterback acumen very transparent and candid. There’s quite a bit to dissect here, and you canBild pretty much pick a spot to begin. So what better place to start than the beginning? First of all, Benjamin’s notion that he was not in a position to succeed in Carolina is a hard sell for me. Benjamin can talk all the smack he wants about the Panthers but it doesn’t change the fact that:The Panthers still gave Benjamin the opportunity to play in the NFL, and it was up to him to maximize it. Benjamin had a solid, productive rookie season, and his ACL injury derailed his second season.As a rookie, Benjamin caught 73 passes for 1,008 yards and nine touchdowns. In that season, he formed a strong bond, rapport, and chemistry with Newton and he was also close to then receivers coach Ricky Proehl.Benjamin thrived “from the get go”. However the ACL injury and aftermath, derailednot only his second season in Charlotte but also his entire Panthers career.In his 2016 return, Benjamin recorded 63 catches for 941 yards and seven touchdowns.However, the ACL injury robbed the receiver of his speed and agility. He struggled with gaining separation from opposing secondaries. He was lax in his route running, and he even wouldn’t use his size to “bully” his coverage. Injuries are inevitable in this game, but it’s up to the player to determine how he responds. The recovery process is just as mental as it is physical, and I wonder what was Benjamin’s thought process while he was rehabbing. I wonder if he thought that if he’d only followed the directions of his personal and team doctors regarding the physical process of rehab that he’d return to his previous form. I wonder if Benjamin thought about what kind of player he would turn into post-injury. If I were betting woman, I’d bet a stack that Benjamin didn’t. And that would be the easiest $1,000 I made in a while.See, Benjamin probably thought and expected to return to his rookie year form and became frustrated when he didn't. Benjamin couldn’t adapt his game. Granted, the injury took away his burst to gain proper separation. However, Benjamin could have ran sharper and crisper routes. He could have used his size better post injury. But again he didn’t Youth Cam Newton Jersey , and weight issues added even more challenges.While the ACL injury was an unfortunate factor in the demise of the relationship between Benjamin and the Panthers, it’s not the problem nor is it the fault of the team that he could not take better care of his body as far as maintaining a decent playing weight goes. It’s not the fault of the team that Benjamin could not (or would not) adapt his game post-injury and mesh with the team. Those conditions were all on Benjamin. As far as Newton and his accuracy issues go, I’m also willing to bet Newton would have completed more passes had Benjamin made the catches he was supposed to make. There were catches that ricocheted off of Benjamin’s hands that were right between his No. 13.There were routine over the shoulder catches he couldn’t hold on to. Was Benjamin complaining about Newton’s accuracy and IQ on this play?Look how the Lions’ Darius Slay had Benjamin jammed on the left sideline. It was little to no separation between the two but Newton still managed to fire the ball over Slay and into Benjamin’s hands. And you know the worst part? Newton was named NFL MVP, and lead the Panthers to a 15-1 regular season record and an NFC Championship—WITHOUT Benjamin. In that season, Newton completed nearly 60 percent of his passes and had the highest QB rating of his career at 99.4. Newton had Ted Ginn Jr. posting a career high in touchdowns (10) and 739 yards off of 44 catches for example. In the following year, Ginn surpassed his yardage (752) and receptions (54) from 2015. Greg Olsen flourishes and thrives with Newton. Before his injury last season, Olsen posted three consecutive 1,000 yard seasons. No other Tight End in the history of the NFL has done this. Not Shannon Sharpe. Not Tony Gonzalesor Ozzie Newsome. No one. Not one. Olsen gives all the credit to Newton. “I’ve told him a lot that he’s the best thing that’s happened to my career.” he shared in a recent interview. “Coming here has been the best eight years of my career and obviously he’s a big part of that.”While Benjamin’s words about Newton received most of the headlines, another accusation has not only gone unnoticed but could be the crux and the bottom line of the vitriol of the Athletic piece. “I felt like I was on a team that didn’t believe in me no more,” Benjamin told Graham.With what transpired between Benjamin and the Panthers, could it be that Benjamin didn’t believe that much in himself post injury that he came to camp out of shape and became lax in his routes and unreliable with his catches?Those questions are something that Benjamin must answer. If he answers those questionsin Thursday’s match up though remains to be seen.Draft Q&A with And The Valley Shook on second round pick Donte Jackson Today I spoke with Billy Gomila of And The Valley Shook about Donte Jackson’s career as an LSU Tiger and why Panthers fans should be excited to have him come to the Carolinas. Here’s a hint, you can describe Jackson’s game in two words: versatile and physical.Cat Scratch Reader: Let’s start at the top, why should Panthers fans be excited to welcome Jackson to the Carolinas?And The Valley Shook: Donte Jackson is a fantastic athlete that can fit in a couple of roles as a cornerback, nickel, or safety. You won’t find many players faster than him, and he’s not afraid to stick his nose into a tackle. In my personal opinion, he’s a better fit as a safety that can roll down into slot coverage, where he can keep his eyes forward, as opposed to a true man-to-man cornerback.CSR: Jackson only had 4 interceptions in his college career, should we be worried about his ball skills?ATVS: Honestly, yes. They’re not his strong point, and that’s also why he never got involved in LSU’s return game, either. In general http://www.authenticscarolinapanthers.com/cheap-mike-adams-jersey , he struggles turning his head and finding the ball in coverage, and if he did have his eyes on the throw, he wasn’t all that great at finishing with the ball in his hands.CSR: What was Jackson’s most memorable on field moment for the Tigers?ATVS: I almost hate to lead with a negative, but in terms of the big plays, Jackson was more known for giving them up than making them. He gave up a 90-plus yard touchdown to Florida in 2016, and then the game-winner to Notre Dame in the Citrus Bowl this year, both of which involved him failing to turn and make a play on the ball, or get the receiver on the ground after the fact. Overall, he was a remarkably consistent player, and these types of plays were pretty few and far between, but when he failed, he failed big. So that’s memorable, fair as that doesn’t really seem. I hate making it sound like there was more bad than good with Jackson, because that really wasn’t the case.CSR: We know Jackson has blazing speed in shorts from the NFL combine, can he out run receivers in pads, too?ATVS: It definitely does. Jackson never had trouble staying with any receiver one-on-one, and when he could play down hill he got there in a hurry.CSR: What is one thing about Jackson’s game that you won’t hear in the average scouting report?ATVS: His versatility is maybe his best quality. He can play outside corner, but I think his best fit is either as a safety in base coverage or a nickel/dime player in sub packages. In many ways, he’s a better version of ex-Tiger Jalen Mills, who has become a key contributor to the Philadelphia Eagles as a hybrid secondary guy. He can blitz, and he can play the ball when he doesn’t have to turn his head. To me, that’s something a smart defensive coordinator can absolutely work with.
douhua2233

Zurück zu Allgemeines / General Information