We all remember what happened

We all remember what happened

Beitragvon chenyan94 » Fr 17. Jan 2020, 02:59

when the Chargers and Ravens met in week 16 of the regular season. The Ravens simply outplayed Womens Joe Barksdale Jersey , and out-coached, the Chargers for four quarters on their way to a dominant 22-10 road win.You can focus on the referees if you want to, but that game was ultimately decided by the X’s and O’s, as the Baltimore coaching staff repeatedly found and exploited the right matchups and the players executed to near perfection. Whether we want to admit it or not, it was a clinic.The question is: what do the Los Angeles Chargers need to do differently if they’re going to win in Baltimore this weekend?Simply put, they need to make a lot of adjustments. And many of them need to come on offense. I think Anthony Lynn and Ken Whisenhunt need to reevaluate the pace of the game, their personnel groupings, and the individual matchups they need/want to exploit if they’re going to win this game.In this article, we’re going to outline five adjustments the Chargers offense must make to be successful in Baltimore. Some of them are significant changes to the Chargers offensive approach, while others represent getting back to doing what the Chargers do best. Either way, they all have to be made if the Chargers are going to win.Let’s get started:Adjustment #1: Pick up the paceEveryone, including the Ravens, is aware of the Chargers tendency to use every last second of the play clock before snapping the ball. While this, in theory, allows Rivers to read and adjust to the defense, it can also allow defenses to adapt to what Rivers is doing by disguising their intentions. During their week 16 matchup, the Ravens confused and frustrated Rivers at the line by waiting until the last second to reveal their plans.That’s why I think the Chargers need to overhaul their tempo completely. Ditch the huddle between plays, rush to the line and snap the ball with 0:10-0:15 seconds on the clock. Don’t let the Ravens adjust to what Rivers is doing at the line before the ball is snapped. In addition to likely catching the Baltimore defense off guard by playing faster, I think this approach would help force more favorable matchups for the Chargers playmakers, which should help get them into an early rhythm and produce a couple of early scores.Adjustment #2: Spread them outOne thing that struck me when I broke down the week 16 game this week was the number of plays the Chargers ran with multiple tight ends and running backs on the field. The goal, I’m sure, was two-fold: max protection for Philip Rivers and loosen up the defense with play-action. Unfortunately, the unintended consequence was that Ravens were able to remain in their base defense, play five or six-man zone schemes behind the pass rush, and easily cover the limited receiving options the Chargers sent down the field. The numbers worked in Baltimore’s favor.As scary as it might seem, the Chargers need to sacrifice max protection for additional weapons by spreading the Ravens out. In my opinion Casey Hayward Jersey , this gives the Chargers their best shot at forcing favorable matchups for their playmakers. Whether it’s getting the running backs loose against linebackers, creating space for Keenan Allen and Mike Williams in the middle of the field, or maybe forcing Tony Jefferson to run with Tyrell Williams, Philip Rivers would suddenly have several matchups from which to choose.Adjustment #3: Attack the edges on the groundThe Baltimore Ravens are blessed with a deep rotation of talented interior defenders and, as a result, there is precious little running room for opposing backs between the tackles. As was the case during their first meeting, most teams run it between the tackles a few times before abandoning the run entirely. What they should be doing is running off tackle at Terrell Suggs, Za’Darius Smith, and Matt Judon. Suggs and Smith, in particular, have been liabilities against the run all season.I fully expect Ken Whisenhunt to try to get Melvin Gordon and Austin Ekeler on the perimeter of the defense tomorrow. He should to that with a variety of stretch, end-around, jet sweep and toss sweep concepts, which, for whatever reason, have not been part of the game plan in recent weeks. I think this has the potential of getting Melvin and Austin rolling early, while also having the added advantage of giving the Los Angeles offensive line a chance to operate in space as athletes, which is where they thrive.Adjustment #4: Feature the backs in the passing gameThe Los Angeles running backs have disappeared from the passing game throughout the last four or five games. Except for the Kansas City game, and using Justin Jackson as a bailout option against the Ravens, Ken Whisenhunt has lost track of one of the defining characteristics of this offense. This was especially perplexing in week 16 because the Baltimore linebackers all struggle in coverage.I would be utterly shocked if we don’t see the Chargers make a concerted effort to isolate Melvin Gordon and Austin Ekeler against CJ Mosely, Kenny Young and Patrick Onwuasor in space. This should involve swing passes, a variety of screen passes, and quick hitters in the middle of the field. If executed properly, it should take some pressure off of the offensive line by getting the ball out of Rivers hands while also keeping the Chargers ahead of the chains with short and mid-range throws. Failing to make this adjustment should get Ken Whisenhunt fired.Adjustment #5: Bust the seamsWhether the result of a physical issue, or the byproduct of a lack of pressure, Philip Rivers has had a hard time driving the ball to the boundaries in recent weeks. Conversely http://www.thechargerslockerroom.com/authentic-melvin-ingram-jersey , the Ravens pass defense has struggled to defend vertical and in-breaking routes in the middle of the field. Nickel corners Jimmy Smith and Tavon Young have had a hard time handling speed in the middle of the field. I think the Chargers will also be looking to force Eric Weddle to cover Mike Williams in the slot when they can.The truth is, the Chargers managed to force favorable matchups for Travis Benjamin and Mike Williams in the first game between these teams, Philip didn’t have the time to exploit them. It was the Chargers who laid the blueprint the Browns followed in week 17; it just didn’t show up on the scoreboard. I think it shows up this week. The key here will be for Philip to cut it loose early in the route, as opposed to falling into his habit of holding the ball while he waits for his target to get farther downfield.As much as everyone likes to say the Ravens dominated the Chargers in week 16, it’s easy to overlook the fact that everything went right for them in that game. They owned the field position advantage, got the benefit of virtually every call, Lamar Jackson made the one throw he had to make, and they bullied the Chargers offensive line. And, in spite of all of that, the Chargers had the ball with a chance to take the lead with 3:00 left in the game. I’m not sure they can expect everything such a perfect storm to befall them in the rematch.And that is why I expect the Chargers to win this game. I think the Los Angeles defense holds the Ravens offense under 20 points, the offense finds a way to make two or three big plays, and the visitors come away with a stressful, hard-fought 23-16 road playoff win. They have to pick up the pace, spread the Ravens out, challenge the Baltimore edge defenders with the run game, feature the backs in the passing game and bust the seams to get it done. After all they've been through, a two-touchdown deficit wasn't going to faze the Los Angeles Chargers."We've been rock-bottom, so it's only up," running back Melvin Gordon said after the Chargers rallied for a 29-27 victory over the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday."We know how to respond when we go down. We always feel like we got the players to be in the game, regardless of how much someone goes up."Gordon played a significant part in the comeback, rushing for 104 yards on 15 carries to go with his seven receptions for 55 yards and a touchdown. It is the sixth 100-yard rushing game of Gordon's career and his first since last Oct. 29 against New England."He ran outstanding. There are some times when he could have gone out of bounds but he stayed between the yard lines and made plays," coach Anthony Lynn said.Philip Rivers threw for 250 yards and three touchdowns as the Chargers improved to 2-2, the first time since 2015 that they are .500 after the first quarter of the season and a long way from their 0-4 start last season."It was good to see the resiliency of this team and how they bounced back. We played good, complementary football," Lynn said.Gordon and Austin Ekeler averaged 5.6 yards per carry against a Niners defense that was 10th against the run and allowing only 97 yards per game. It is the first time in 11 games that San Francisco had allowed a 100-yard rusher."Gordon was playing very well. He opened up in the second half," 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster said.The Chargers trailed 17-6 with 4:59 remaining in the second quarter then scored 20 straight points Womens Junior Seau Jersey , including 11 in the final 47 seconds of the first half to tie it at 17 at halftime.Caleb Sturgis had three field goals, including one from 21 yards with 7:41 left that gave the Chargers the lead, but he had an eventful day with two missed extra points.C.J. Beathard, who got the start for San Francisco (1-3) after Jimmy Garoppolo's season-ending knee injury, was 23 of 37 for 298 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions. The last interception came with 2:38 remaining when Isaac Rochell picked off a pass intended for Alfred Morris at the Niners 19. The Chargers then ran out the clock."I thought he played well," Niners coach Kyle Shanahan said. "He played very tough. Made some great plays, especially in some of the situations. With a lot of guys going in and out, he handled a lot of adversity well and a little chaos due to injuries."Beathard's first TD toss of 2 yards to Kendrick Bourne gave the Niners a 14-0 lead with 3:53 remaining in the first quarter. His 82-yarder to George Kittle with 2:50 remaining in the third quarter helped end of run where they had three three-and-outs and an interception."It felt a lot more comfortable being out there and being in control. It definitely felt a lot more comfortable than last year," said Beathard, who lost five of six starts last season.EXTRA-POINT WOESThe Chargers have missed eight PATs since the start of last season, which is the most in the league. Los Angeles has missed 10 extra points since the kick was moved back in 2015 and is one of eight teams in the league to have missed 10 or more.VERSATILE BACKSGordon and Ekeler each caught touchdowns, the first time the Chargers have had two running backs catch touchdowns since Jacob Hester and Darren Sproles did it on Nov. 22, 2010, against Denver.Ekeler's 22-yard reception on a go pattern drew the Chargers within 17-14 late in the second quarter. Gordon's 6-yard catch in the third quarter would give Los Angeles a 23-17 lead.Rivers, who was 25 of 39, completed passes to eight players with Gordon and Ekeler combining for nine receptions and 81 yards.MOVING ON UPRivers surpassed John Elway for the eighth-most yards in NFL history. He has 51,504 yards in his 15-year career while Elway had 51,475."Those are guys I had posters of on my wall, so just to be mentioned with them is definitely special," Rivers said.HELD IN CHECKSan Francisco's Matt Breida came in tied for the league lead in rushing (295 yards) but he was held to 39 yards on nine carries.Lynn said after the game that stopping the run was something they put extra emphasis on in practice all week.INJURIESNiners: Wide receiver Dante Pettis and left tackle Joe Staley suffered knee injuries. Staley's injury meant San Francisco had to reshuffle its offensive line, moving first-round pick Mike McGlinchey to left tackle and putting Garry Gilliam at right tackle.Chargers: Wide receiver Travis Benjamin, who missed the past two games due to a foot injury, did not play during the second half. He had a catch for 2 yards. Left tackle Russell Okung did not play in the second half due to a groin injury.Follow Joe Reedy at joereedy
chenyan94

Zurück zu Allgemeines / General Information